Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hallmark Tolls and Purple Potatoes – You Saw This One Coming, Didn’t You?


by M. J. Joachim

Valentine’s Day, like Christmas and Easter, has been muted by the signs, sounds and monetary infiltration of materialism. It’s become “A Thing” as opposed to a day to celebrate something special. 

Hallmark can do its own thing, but I’m not up for paying the annual Hallmark toll, by trivializing my relationship and feelings, with a highly overpriced and understated card this year. Nor am I in the mood to rummage through a bunch of strange messages, meant for anyone, except the love of my life!

Call me crazy, but I’d much rather enjoy a peaceful, romantic dinner – perhaps watching a few home movies or dancing to some classic tunes on a few old records, than join the vast crowds waiting to pay for their overpriced Valentine meals (+ rushed service and harried waiters) – due to the numerous people still waiting in line. It might be “what we’re supposed to do,” but it doesn’t qualify as a feel good moment to me!

Regarding those purple potatoes now (from yesterday’s post)…

They really are purple, through and through. Having eaten red potatoes, I’d expected purple potatoes to be white on the inside, like the red ones. I’m here to tell you, purple potatoes are purple. After thinking about it a bit more, sweet potatoes are orange too.

A little bit of research and I learned that purple potatoes are highly nutritious. They actually help fight obesity and high blood pressure and are loaded with antioxidants. If you love eating your potatoes and find it difficult to live without them, purple potatoes are the way to go, apparently.

They taste good too! They’re not quite as bland as yellow or white potatoes. They’re not sweet like yams. They’re texture is that of any variety of potatoes I’ve ever eaten and they taste like regular potatoes – slightly (very slightly) more intense, that’s all. Hands down, you simply have to try some!

Tomorrow, I’ll be Celebrating the Small Things. Check it out and join us, if you are so inclined.

Until next time, I wish you every good thing.
Thank you for visiting Effectively Human.

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved