Wednesday, February 13, 2013

That Got a Reaction Out of Me!


by M. J. Joachim

I was at the grocery store the other day when I first saw it. I said out loud, “No way. I’ve never seen anything like that before.” Heading across the produce section, I made my way to the other side in anticipation.

It was true. Those things in the container really were purple potatoes. I never knew such a thing existed and I was excited about it, so much so that I bought three different kinds of potatoes that day, just so I could go home and show my kids. (My kids, btw, were also excited by Mom’s newest find.)

People are funny that way. We are intrigued by something different. It excites us, gets our blood flowing a little faster and makes us think.

To be blind to creation is to stifle creativity!

We need new. We need diversity, change and differences. We need curiosity, challenge and the unknown. It’s what makes us feel alive. It’s what forces us to take a great big, deep breath and breathe already!

You might think, “So what? They’re just potatoes. People eat potatoes every day.”

I’ve taken these little roots and turned them into a brand new and exciting experience. I’ve shared them and received similar first reactions. These funny little spuds caused me to take action on their behalf.

Today, I’m writing about human responses because of them. Tonight, we’re all going to have family time, cook them up for dinner and see if the purple ones taste any different from the red or yellow ones.

There are so many things that can and should catch our eye, things that have the power to make us get outside of ourselves, and notice the beauty and intricate details in everything that makes our lives complete.

We have the power to turn ordinary into something amazing, just by our response to it. We have the ability to overcome diversity, simply because we care enough to say something. We have the notion to push a little harder and make a positive difference in our world.

“All this from a purple potato?” you ask.

“Yea, all this from a purple potato,” I say.

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human.
Until next time, I wish you every good thing.

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved