Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Thoughts on Human Cruelty


by M. J. Joachim

The capacity for cruelty some people have amazes me at times. Not long ago, I received some emails from a “friend.” During the course of these emails, this person revealed the intent to push my buttons, make me see red and watch me squirm, trusting in the belief that I wouldn’t be able to do much about it, and even if I could, my personality was such that I wouldn’t bother.

Mind you, all of these emails were readily justified, upon my response to them. They were meant as tools to help me, teach me and make me understand that which would likely be much too difficult for me to understand on my own, had these words never been written for my benefit. I was singled out, not to help me, mind you, but to boost another person’s ego.

Families have a way of singling out individuals too. You think animals are the only ones with runts? Think again. Time and time again, human cruelty reveals itself in subtle and not so subtle ways, purposely digging at another’s sore spot, eager to see the glimpse of pain in their eyes.

We are a violent species, as most animals are, except we are more than mere animals, having been made in the Image of Christ. We are called to live up to a certain dignity and share that same dignity with other human beings. Sadly, many of us prefer the opportunity to lift ourselves up (if only in our own weak and inconsequential imaginations), by attempting to tear others down.

I say attempting with great purpose here, for indeed, it is only an attempt, and nothing that ever has to be the demise or ruin of anyone. Be strong, kind people and lift each other up through the power of love and mercy. Attribute human cruelty to the source, and never let it determine what is true. Christ was crucified by acts and thoughts of human cruelty. Love conquered all and truth revealed our salvation, through the acts of human cruelty that never could become our Lord’s demise.

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human,

M. J.

Photo credit:  Witt, 1887, Public Domain
©2013 All Rights Reserved