Friday, April 5, 2013

Euthanasia & Celebrate the Small Things Blog Hop


by M. J. Joachim

All I can wonder about is, when I get too old, become sick or end up ‘irreparably’ injured, who’s going to make the call that I’m not qualified to live my life anymore?

I might be okay with this, if it were my husband and children who love me dearly, and would not exhaust my life before its time. They would move heaven and earth to keep me around. Of that I have no fear.

However, if it is some medical professional, seeking to earn government funds for the latest research and educational grants, ulterior motive would have to be considered as a reason for ending my life too soon.

Enemies – we all have at least someone who believes the world has had its fill of us, whether they’ve been relatives and friends or not, someone usually has a beef with us at any given time. Will timing dictate that they get their two cents on the matter, and have input on the decision of whether I live or die?

Euthanasia is a tricky topic, because so many factors come into play. We’ve all said things in the moment – ask anyone who’s had kidney stones…they’ll tell you death crossed their minds when passing them. That doesn’t mean they wanted to commit suicide or have someone put them out of their misery. It simply means they hurt bad enough to shout the extreme – in an effort to express clearly what they were dealing with, not to exterminate their own lives certainly!

Euthanasia is not a topic to be deciphered by word games. All pro-life scenarios seem to run into this dilemma at one point or another. They get caught up in the words and emotions of it all – mixing apples with kiwi fruit, for heaven’s sake…yes, I said kiwi. Oranges are too closely related for the metaphor!

Brass tacks – euthanasia is permanently putting someone to sleep, like an animal that has lost its usefulness – a dog that is too old to protect its owner, a horse that can’t plow the field or take you on a journey.

Is a person to be deduced to such a thing as what he can and can’t do for those around him?! Are we not worth more than the essence of our actions and contributions to society? Do we not learn from each other, even when little to no action takes place?

These are the tough questions concerning the legitimacy of euthanasia as a standard practice for human beings in our world. Your discussion is encouraged. Please share your viewpoints in the comments.

Celebrate the Small Things Blog Hop

This is a blog hop hosted by Vikki that takes place every Friday.

While playing darts with my son the other day, I did something I’ve never done before and will probably never do again. The moment was exciting, ecstatic and dare I say euphoric.



My hollyhocks reseed themselves every year. I never know how many new plants will come up and bloom. This year we have quite a few. Oh, and some are coming up randomly across the yard. I’ve never had a light pink one before. This one is growing in the middle of my carrot and chard bed all alone and by itself.

 





Thank you for visiting Effectively Human.

M. J.

Photo credit:  hollyhocks and dart photos, M. J. Joachim (All Rights Reserved); injection, Wilfredo Rodriguez, GFDL
©2013 All Rights Reserved