Monday, April 15, 2013

Microwave Beets and Mosquito Traps


by M. J. Joachim

Microwave Beets

Microwave beets resulted from a “duh” moment. Big beet fan here; I’m growing quite a crop of them in my garden. The only problem is I dread preparing them for meals.

The greens are easy enough. I mix them into our green juice to maximize their nutrients. The beets, however, are messy and it always seems like such a waste to boil them and toss that bright red beet water into the compost pile.

Duh! Beets are roots just like potatoes. Scrub, stab and microwave them – just like potatoes.

It worked! I plucked a small beet from my garden and microwaved it for two minutes. The flavor was intense – much more-so than the beets that have been boiled to death. The color is vibrant, as you can see. No need to rub off the peel – I ate the whole thing and it was positively marvelous.

Word of caution…beets spatter in the microwave. It might be a good idea to put a paper towel or something over them to minimize the mess.

Mosquito Traps

When I saw this on Facebook last week, I simply had to try it and see for myself. Mind you, I didn’t have black tape to seal the edges; duct tape made a mastermind substitution.

Step 1: Take a 2 liter empty bottle and cut it in half.

Step 2:  Fill the base with 1 Cup room temperature water, ¼ Cup brown sugar and 1 gram (about ½ tsp) active dry yeast

Step 3:  Place top upside down in top of base. Seal with tape.

Step 4:  Put bottle in an inconspicuous place away from people.

From what I understand, the solution creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes. They fly in to feed on the solution, get trapped and die. It is recommended you make new traps approximately every two weeks or so. 



It makes perfect sense, when you think about it. People breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide. Mosquitoes are attracted to the natural gas we emit, which is why they like to bite us, that and the fact that they like to suck our blood.

Happy Monday, kind visitors. I hope you all had a marvelous weekend!

M. J.

Photo credit:  M. J. Joachim, All Rights Reserved
©All Rights Reserved