Thursday, April 18, 2013

Patriotism


by M. J. Joachim

 “This picture looks so racist,” stated the young teen, looking at the family photo of all members dressed in red, white and blue – stars and stripes. “I mean, what made them think to dress so biased against other countries anyway?” she asked.

Her mom looked up, considered the question thoughtfully and replied, “They’re not being racist. They’re being patriotic. Racism and patriotism are not mutually exclusive or synonymous, you know.”

“Still, they could have dressed a little more neutral,” responded the girl.

“Why? It’s an American family in American colors. Why shouldn’t they be proud of their country and reflect it in their outfits?”

“I don’t know. It just seems wrong. It seems like they might be offending some people, that’s all.”

This is an actual conversation, a debate being taught to our children in the name of tolerance and being politically correct. I know, because I witnessed this conversation personally. All I can say is, have we strayed so far from our true and meaningful values that our children don’t even know what we stand for anymore? Do we truly want to become a nation that loses its identity, in the name of other people demanding their way in our land?

I’m patriotic and I’m for the USA. I’m not a racist. I’m a proud American who is fed up with being told that true American values, morals and history are somehow insulting to those who don’t share them. No one is forcing anyone to hold them dear. All we expect is a little respect to practice and believe in the freedoms and rights this country fought for - life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I won’t give up respectfully and tastefully displaying Old Glory in my country for anyone. This isn’t racism. It’s patriotism. The time for being political correct is definitely over, when some of our children don’t even know the difference!

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human.

M. J.

Photo credit:  States Department WTC 9-11, The Flag, Midnight, U. S. Federal Government, Public Domain
©2013 All Rights Reserved