Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Liebster Award Time – Sharing the Love…




by M. J. Joachim


Effectively Human is honored to have been awarded the Liebster Award by S.K. Anthony on May 1 and by BeverlyBevimus on May 9. The rules for accepting this are as follows:

Rules of the Liebster Blog Award:
- Tell 11 random things about yourself. 
- Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
- Post 11 questions for those who will be nominated by you.
- Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers.
- Get in contact with those 11 bloggers in order to inform them that you nominated them.

Change of plans regarding nominating 11 bloggers and questions they should answer… please oblige and play along…

How many bloggers can we nominate?

When you leave a comment on this post, please nominate a deserving blogger or two in your comment. Also, ask them one or two questions here. Let them know and link back to this post so they can accept their award and find their questions. Help me share the love and pass it on. Nominees can visit and answer as many questions in the comments here as they’d like, preferably five or more.

11 Random Things about Myself

I’m a very sound sleeper, so much so that when I was little, the next door neighbor’s house blew up and I slept through the whole thing. We all had to go outside by the pool, because there was concern that our house might catch on fire too. My dad carried me outside and I finally woke up because I was cold.

I lived through two 7.+ earthquakes when I was living in California.

I witnessed a reenacted crucifixion in the Philippines on Good Friday when I was a little girl.

I’ve always wanted to learn to play the flute.

I was a contestant in Miss Teen Northern California beauty pageant many, many years ago. They had us write and deliver speeches in lieu of talent competition. I got a standing ovation for my speech. In the same pageant, I was nearly swept off the floor by the curtain in one of our group dance numbers. The song was “Let’s Get Physical and we had to lie on the floor for the closing line in the song. I missed my mark and got all tangled up, before rolling over toward the back of the stage.

When I was in 4th grade, I had so much stage fright during my very first piano recital that I played the same three notes over and over and over again. I simply drew a blank for the rest of the song.

I also won my very first poetry competition in 4th grade. I was the youngest student ever to get first place, competing against all the older kids in the school. I was supposed to read my poem out loud to the entire school when I went up to accept my award. Nerves got the better of me that time too. Our student body president read my poem while I stood there shaking, hanging onto his arm for dear life.

A friend and I won second place for dressing up as Howard Cosell and a football player in the annual Halloween competition when I was in elementary school. That might
have been 4th grade too, but it’s been so many years, I’m really not sure anymore.



My questions from S. K. are as follows:

1 ~ Does your name have a back story? What is it?


M. J. Joachim is a pen name. My real name is Teresa. I chose the name M. J. Joachim as an encouragement to write with integrity, honesty and honor. My faith is very important to me. M. J. stands for Mary JoAnn. (Mary, Joseph, Ann, Joachim)

2 ~ Is there anything you collect? If so what?

I’ve collected a lot of things over the years. Not so much anymore though. Some of the things I collected in the past were books – always lots and lots of books. Craft supplies were also huge – until it got too difficult to find what I was looking for. I’m pretty good about being organized, but the clutter was winning so I got rid of a lot of stuff.

3 ~ What's the one thing you wish you could brag about?

How close my brothers and sisters all are…we aren’t and it truly breaks my heart.

4 ~ What would be your dream vacation spot?

Do I have to pick just one? I’ve always wanted to see the Iditarod in Alaska.

5 ~ Who is your biggest supporter?
My husband, hands down!

6 ~ What is your biggest pet peeve?

Lies – I positively hate lies and lying!

7 ~ What books have most influenced your life?

The Bible and Jonathan Livingston Seagull

8 ~  So you believe in Extra Terrestrials?

Nope, sure don’t.

9 ~ If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have one thing, what would it be?

Lots of pictures of my family

10 ~ What is your most controversial belief?
Going with pro-life on this one….abortion, euthanasia, death penalty etc. It’s never our place to decide who lives and who dies, no matter what the circumstances.

11 ~ What music album are you still listening to now that you also listened to years ago?

Seals and Crofts Unborn Child…I even have a record player – picked up the vinyl at Zia Records.

My questions from Beverly are as follows:

WHERE WERE YOU BORN? San Jose, California

WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW? Mesa, Arizona

IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Depends on my mood

LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
America’s Prince: John F. Kennedy Jr.

WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? The Light Between Oceans

THE POWER GOES OUT.  IT WILL BE OUT FOR SEVERAL HOURS.  WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOURSELF? We face this one almost every summer. It’s coming once the monsoon storms arrive. Stay cool because it’s really hot. Sometimes this includes going to where the power isn’t out. See if any neighbors need help. Play family games and sit around and gab.

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? The fans in the background while I work on my blogs and the t.v. my daughter is watching in the next room

GREATEST STRUGGLE AS A WRITER? Making time to write…

WHAT IS THE ONE BOOK YOU THINK EVERYONE SHOULD READ? The Bible

IF YOU COULD BE ONE OF THE GREEK GODS WHO WOULD YOU BE AND WHY?  On one hand I would go with Hestia for home and hearth. On the other I would go with Apollo for the arts, music and altruism.

WEIRDEST THING YOU'VE EVER BEEN TOLD BY A FORTUNE COOKIE? To learn Chinese + what my lucky numbers are...just seems a  bit odd, that’s all.

That’s about all for this post. I hope you’ll all join in the fun and help me nominate oodles of deserving bloggers to receive this award. You’ll be helping me out quite a bit too. I’m way behind in Blog Land, since my oldest daughter graduated from college last week. As it should, family took a priority for a couple of weeks. Blogging has been hit and miss. Things appear to be settling down some, so I’ll be blogging more frequently again now. Posts will likely happen in the afternoon for a while. Extreme summer heat has arrived. Early morning is reserved for outside time, because it’s too hot to go outside much during the heat of the day.

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human. And a big thanks to S. K. and Beverly for sharing these awards with me.

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved