Friday, June 7, 2013

Celebrate the Small Things – Gotta Love Book Reviews

by M. J. Joachim

Thank you VikLit for hosting Celebrate the Small Things.

Today I’m celebrating my deliberate decision to put myself out there and start offering book and ebook reviews to people on my Writing Tips blog. I read a post on L. Diane Wolfe’s blog earlier this week which contained a link to The Indie View, a site linking to book reviewers and their reviews, and I signed up because I review books on my blog whenever I read them anyway.

The Indie View asked me to come up with a Review Policy Statement…easy enough to do. I read, write and share my opinion. I don’t get paid for my services, although authors have been very generous about offering me a free copy of the book they want reviewed. This is important, because my budget certainly doesn’t allow me to purchase all the requests I’ve received so far…kids in college and all that sort of thing, you know.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized the importance of this service. Book lovers enjoy browsing and thumbing through the books they choose to buy. However, in the world of ebooks, that’s next to impossible to do. We get to read a short snippet at the beginning of the book, if there is a preview available at all. Honest reviews are our only source of accurate information for some of these books. Balanced and fair writing about them, from someone who has actually read them – as opposed to skimming through their pages and publishing blog posts at record speed about them, or worse – a friend or family member only helping to promote the books and increase sales, are vitally important for prospective buyers.

So I’m celebrating making good decisions. It’s already late Friday morning as I’m writing this, so I’m not going to browse my blogs and make a list of bloggers today. I promoted 5 sisters on each of my blogs earlier this week (that’s 25 blogging friends I recognized), thanks to receiving a very nice sister award from one of my cherished blogging friends. It’s not for lack of effort. I’m simply running out of time and need to move along and walk the dog yet, before it gets too hot.

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human.

M. J.


©2013 All Rights Reserved