Monday, July 29, 2013

Gluten Free – Days 1 & 2


by M. J. Joachim

July 27, 2013 – Day 1

Hey, we had planned to go grocery shopping anyway…

Online search for gluten free groceries turned up a great website:   gfoverflow.com

Was amazed to find so many (clearly labeled) gluten free foods at the grocery store, complete with entire sections dedicated to gluten free products. Thank you for the easy button, grocers!

Very easy to eat gluten free today. Not hungry, noticeable less heartburn and stomach irritation throughout day.

Woke up in middle of night like clockwork – smiled and went back to sleep. No racing to the bathroom on this day.

July 28, 2013 – Day 2

Bloating in upper stomach has clearly gone down a little bit. Guessing it will take a few days or so to completely go away. This has been one of my biggest concerns – my kids are grown and I have issues feeling and looking like I’m pregnant, when clearly something else can be attributed to it. Bowels are also more consistent and predictable. Racing after I eat seems to be less of an issue, and it’s only been two days.

Not a big drinker, but do enjoy a cocktail now and then. Usually prefer whisky/coke. Won’t drink vodka at all. Enjoy spiced rum and coke during the holidays. Turns out many rums are made from sugar and are gluten free. Clear rum mixed with flavored seltzer water and a little juice is a perfect cocktail to enjoy, instead of whisky/coke. Wine is also safe. However, I had so many stomach issues drinking wine prior to going gluten free, it’s not going to be my first choice anytime soon. (Disclaimer – Don’t take my word for it. Do your own research and decide what you can and can’t tolerate for yourself. I am not a doctor. This is simply a personal journey, nothing more.)

Slept through the night – no habitual waking up and no stomach irritation causing me to wake up in pain. Sure felt good too!

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human,

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved