Monday, July 29, 2013

Gluten Free Might Work for Me


by M. J. Joachim

Heartburn, IBS from time to time, mental fog, way too much fatigue, always feeling hungry – then paying for it whenever you eat, interrupted sleep – especially due to various types of intestinal discomfort…

We all periodically suffer from these things; it’s normal to attribute excess stress when symptoms like this become more intense. 2013 has been one heck of a year for me in that department; it’s already late July, and things haven’t settled down much yet.

However, even last fall and early this winter, I was gradually becoming more concerned with certain health issues – things doctors and their tests couldn’t explain, attributing them to the aging process, stress and perhaps unresolved issues from my youth. Let’s just slap a big bumper sticker on her butt that says, “We know something is going on, but we haven’t got a clue, so we’ll give her the old vague and life happens spiel, and see if she buys it.”

There’s usually something that triggers a personal mission to conquer said painful health issues, regardless of any excuses docs may give when they’re clearly baffled by one’s complaints. In my case, it was waking up in the middle of the night with extreme nausea and spending countless trips racing to the bathroom, preferring sitting to praying on my knees, and hoping for that resolve as my body rejected its contents.

 Family History

Gluten intolerance has revealed itself in my family for generations. It’s literally in our genes and DNA. Of course, I didn’t know this until recently, when one of my sisters discussed some of her recent health issues with me. She and two other siblings have paid a high price from eating gluten over the years. Turns out, many of my symptoms were some of their same early signs something was wrong with their health too. As expected, many of their doctors blamed it on aging, stress, unresolved issues and a variety of other vague things over the years too.

On July 27, 2013, I was done – completely worn out from waking up like that, and beyond tired of blaming it on stress. People don’t have to live like this, and eating shouldn’t be painful. There simply had to be a solution. Common sense told me gluten free might be the way to go for this.

Please join me on this journey as I share in diary form, the process and effects of going gluten free. It’s only been 2 days, and already I’m amazed at the results.

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human,

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved