Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Curve Balls, Roller Coasters & the Cycle of Life


By M. J. Joachim

People move in cycles. Life throws us a curve ball, and we tend to spend a lot of time trying to catch up. Perhaps we feel obligated or something. I don’t know. I’ve been in a bit of a catch up mode lately, reading and writing blog posts as fast as I can. Sometimes I think that curve ball is meant to help us change direction though. Don’t you?

When my mother got sick last spring, none of us saw what was actually coming. Life hit us square in the face with reality, just the way Mom always did, I might add. Blunt and to the point! Yes, that’s where I get it. No need to push that envelope any further.

I was smack dab in the middle of so many projects, when suddenly, my world turned upside down, sideways, and then did a complete flip right in mid-air, just like some of those awesome and amazing, albeit very scary roller coasters so many of us know and love.

Stopping in your tracks is fine, as long as you don’t lose your cookies on the impact. Getting back up to speed – well, just like with any good roller coaster, it doesn’t hurt to look at that long line and take a stroll along the boardwalk, before getting back on for another go-round. Chances are you might learn a thing or two if you do, and that courage you need to muster to put your hands up the whole way, might be one of those things you find out you’ve had all along.

Taking stock of what you’re doing – and why, I might add. Then looking at it from a broad lens to determine if what you’re doing makes any sense. We’re talking panoramic views here. Anything can make sense from a narrow-minded perspective, providing you’re looking through the right kaleidoscope.

So that’s what I’ve been doing these recent days. Dare I ask, what have you been up to?

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human,

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved