Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Gluten Free Jerky & Holiday Snack Recipes


By M. J. Joachim

I made two batches of jerky over the weekend. Basic Instructions are as follows: 

1. Make marinade or dry rub

2. Cut meat into thin slices
3. Soak meat in marinade or massage dry rub into meat
4. Refrigerate meat for several hours
5. Set oven to lowest temp
6. Place meat on parchment paper on cookie sheet
7. Dry meat in oven for several hours
8. Change out parchment and flip meat
9. Continue drying meat for several more hours until it’s ready to eat

The first batch was super easy. Simply marinade meat in your favorite bbq sauce before drying in the oven. I used KC Masterpiece; it’s gluten free and taste wonderful, but you can use any bbq sauce you’d like. 





The second recipe is a spicy paste, using equal parts garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, sage and two different kinds of chili powder. I also added a couple tablespoons of salt and some fresh ground pepper to the mix. Then I poured just enough hot sauce to make a nice paste.



Due to an injury in my wrist, I asked the butcher to thinly slice two separate roasts I found on sale. I put the sliced meat in a plastic container with lid, coating it in the bbq sauce and rub respectively. I place both containers in the fridge overnight, and dried them separately the next day...all day. 

The bbq batch dried til late afternoon. Then I put the spicy jerky in the oven for several hours before switching out the parchment when I flipped it. Because it had already been drying for several hours, I turned the oven off when I went to bed – it was pretty late anyway. In the morning, I switched out the paper one more time, and let the jerky dry a couple hours more with the oven on. 

Both batches turned out really good! My son said they complement each other, with sweet and spicy flavors when you eat them together. 

Yesterday I made an interesting gluten free munch mix. I used Chex corn and rice cereal, salted cashews, unsalted peanuts, broken Blue Diamond rice crackers – plain and smokehouse almond, Pepperidge Farm Gluten Free Goldfish – buffalo wing and mega cheese flavors. Then I poured a little olive oil over the mix, sprinkled it with garlic salt and baked it in the oven on 170 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour. It’s positively delicious!




So there you have it! Three (four if you count this jerky recipe) super easy, tasty and gluten free snack recipes for the holidays. Don’t we all want our visitors to say wonderful things after they’ve stopped in for a visit at our homes during the holidays? Something like, “Oh, I’m too stuffed to eat another bite. I just popped in over at M. J.’s for some holiday cheer and her appetizers were so delicious, I simply couldn’t help myself by eating too many!”

Jerky and snack mix also make delightful treats to send across the miles in our holiday care packages. I know a few people who look forward to receiving mine every year. Because the jerky lasts a while, it’s easy to make ahead of time for shipping purposes. 

Thank you for visiting Effectively Human. It’s about us, and food always seems to naturally bring us together at times. Cheers!

M. J. 

©2013 All Rights Reserved 

Links to this post are more than appreciated, but please don’t copy the content here!