Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Busy People are Happier People

By M. J. Joachim

One of the reasons I like to participate in the A – Z Challenge is because it keeps me busy. It gives me something to focus on, which encourages me to work on the task at hand. People need to be busy. When we’re not busy, we often get bored and fall into unhealthy traps of self-defeat and discouragement.

Writing has always kept me busy. So have household chores, being a wife and mom, gardening, crocheting…the list goes on and on. Blogging has become a favorite activity of mine, but like many people, I don’t always know what to write about. Participating in the A – Z Challenge takes the question out of the equation, allowing me to focus on my writing. It gives me a starting point for a topic.

Energy starts to stir when I’m gearing up for the A – Z Challenge. Watching the Olympics recently, I’ve heard numerous stories about how the athletes trained for those few moments when they competed in the race. Energy built from the second they decided to enter, long before they even knew if they’d make the Olympic Team. Once it started, it was like a snowball rolling down a steep hill, gathering momentum and speed, until they realized their dream, a dream that was about the event, more than getting on the podium. The podium is a dream – competing to the best of their ability is the goal.

Being busy is a byproduct of making the decision to participate. Being busy makes people happy. 


Are you satisfied with how busy you are, or do you know you need to find something to energize your spirit, get you off the couch and keep you busy? Do you have a hobby or activity that makes your life more enjoyable, which you wish you could spend more time doing? If blogging is your answer to these questions, joining the A – Z Challenge is a perfect answer.

When I participated in last year’s Challenge, I designed, created and crocheted 26 flower patterns. This year, I’m focusing on this blog with a theme that caught me by surprise, something I'm proud to share with all of you. It keeps me busy, and being busier always makes me happy.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting on Effectively Human today. Sharing my thoughts with you and listening to your feedback is always a great way to spend my time. I’ll see you again soon.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved
Photo credit: Jeremy Hawkins, A – Z Challenge Co-Host…check out all the badges he made for us for the Challenge!