Friday, May 16, 2014

Have You Ever? The Games People Play because They Can

by M. J. Joachim


Have you ever turned on your computer, performed an Internet search and wondered who’s tracking or staring back at you?

Have you ever held your cell phone a little further from your ear or put it on speaker, because it might cause health problems?

Have you ever watched your smart t.v. and wondered if it monitors your viewing habits?

Have you ever taken prescription drugs to treat symptoms, without worrying about the side effects?

Have you ever donated to cancer research, believing your donation could be the final amount that would actually find the cure?

Have you ever eaten fast food and believed there were any health benefits in it at all?

Have you ever scratched that bug bite on your arm, looked up similar pictures on the web, and decided you were bitten by a rare bug that could wreak havoc on your health, for months and possibly even years to come?

Have you ever visited medical web sites to query your “symptoms” and told your doctor what you think might be wrong with you, so he could follow your lead, instead of researching his own theories?

Have you ever become enraged or extremely concerned by a web posting being spread around, only to find out it was a hoax?

Have you ever been afraid to keep moving forward, because you’re inundated with so much information that stops you dead to rights in your tracks?

Have you ever eaten a fast food meal without thinking about the extra, useless pounds of fat, you were adding to your waistline?

Have you ever felt like something must be done about everything, because there’s so much wrong with everything else?

Have you ever asked about taking medicine, because you heard it had some possible miracle solutions you might need?

Have you ever muted a medicine commercial, because once you actually listened to all the possible adverse side-effects, you knew you’d be better off drinking a bottle of poison instead?

Have you ever multi-tasked on two or more Internet connected devices simultaneously, because it was easier to get everything done that way?

Have you ever searched the web for basic information that you probably already know, if you’d just take the time to think about it for a second?

Have you ever saved files, scanned for viruses and problems, updated software, downloaded apps, liked, commented or shared a post or status, and wished there was an easier way to stay informed and be in-tuned with society?

If you have answered yes to more than a few of these questions, you are socially & technologically up to date. I think I’ll go to a local park and sit on a swing for a while right now.

Thank you for visiting and commenting on Effectively Human today. 

Now turn off the screen, box, pad or whatever it is and find out what the weather is really like outside, without pressing the app button that will readily tell you, before you even take time to look out the window.

M. J. 

©2014 All Rights Reserved
Photo credit: Marlon Felippe, Impact of water in a water surface, GNU Free Documentation License

It’s about us, and some of us might just be missing the boat on a few things, while others are swimming in some pretty deep waters. There are times to swim with sharks. There are also times to wade in the shallow end or float on top of the water.


17 comments:

  1. OK, I'm away out - had enough for today ... thanks for the reminder MJ :)
    Fil
    Fil’s Place - Old songs and Memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never considered myself as having a technical brain in my body but after reading this you've just gave me some incouraement. I still fill I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm always worried that I'm going to post something that's going to get me trouble. Or miss spell words or use the wrong one.

      Delete
  2. I just came in from puttering around in my garden. It is a lovely day outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol oh man . . . well, I was already outside with the kiddos for a bit. It's pouring now though and it actually makes a great view through the window. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my friends said she might go for a walk today. Maybe I'll join her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should all step outside rather than look up the weather online. Unfortunately, I've been guilty of this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a post full of things to ponder and yes, I have wondered about some of these things. Especially that small bug bite but, I always make time for the outdoors to enjoy nature..we all need to unplug from time to time and enjoy the moments of life. Thought provoking post..

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there's an empty swing next to you, may I take it? I could use that kind of break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could find the "off" button on my computer, I'd be outta' here. Of course, I can resort to unplugging the darned thing and hope for the best.

    I spend a lot of time outdoors taking the natural balance that nature tries to teach us. Thank you for this post, my dear friend. The weather in England has been warm and sunny. All I needed to know this was to go outside.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I resemble that last part too much! I think our viewing and surfing habits are being monitored constantly. Data analytics is HUUUUUUUUUUGE. Forget Nielsens--we're in a world now where networks will soon know everything about what people are watching, DVR'ing, and streaming online 24/7. However, it's not personal. You're just a number to them and it's all pulled into reports that tell how many people did this, how many did that...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was offline most of the weekend, spending time with family-- and felt guilty afterwards! So much work to be done and so little time-- my blogs have begun to exhaust me.

    Thanks for this post-- it made me smile, and made me feel a teensy bit less guilty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Just wanna let you know I nominated your site for The Lighthouse Award. You can find the post here:
    http://mscoffeehouse.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/the-lighthouse-award/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. I went kayaking for the first time today to get out and live more directly. It was great. We all need to unplug more often and just live. Maria @ Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Effectively Human" has been included in Sites To See #376. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/06/sites-to-see-376.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to be outside on days like these, but here I am inside wondering why? Now you've motivated me to leave online and see what's going on in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just come in from working for an hour in the garden. I wonder what messages and other "information" are waiting for me.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good reminder! I unplugged for a few days up in Estes Park. Felt good!

    ReplyDelete