Monday, May 5, 2014

Letters to Self: Sleep Deprivation Doesn’t Make You Super Human

Letters to Self is a Self-help series written by M. J. Joachim, designed to encourage and promote healing and self-awareness for those who read it.

Dear Self, 

Sleep escapes you as your mind and heart continue to race with new ideas, ways to make it better, things to accomplish, dreams to pursue…and then life. Oh yea, you still have to live your life in the midst of all this. You still have to function and perform your daily routine, which includes taking care yourself and others.

Take a deep breath. It will all be okay. You can only do what you can do, and the rest will fall into place. The world will not quit spinning, just so you can catch up and get your bearings. It will not slow down, allowing you to be super human. There are enough egos in this world, that super humans would really mess things up in a big way, so take a chill pill, and quit riding yourself for not being able to do it all.

If you must, write a list (or several) to keep track of all these things you believe might make a difference. Or, go take a walk, feel the gentle breeze, listen to nature calling your name, and see what remains so vitally important when you’re done. Chances are the other stuff was just cluttering up your mind, heart and soul, and you didn’t need to worry about it anyway. Life has a way of side-tracking us that way, inevitably making it impossible to get anything done at all, let alone doing anything well.

Dreams matter, but so does sanity, and both will fall by the wayside if you don’t get enough sleep.

Love,

Self

©2014 All Rights Reserved
Photo credit:  Mikael Haagstrom, CCO-1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication

3 comments:

  1. what a great post and so true. I think no matter what your situation it is always important to stop and make time just to relax and let off steam. Work, work, work gets to much for anyone. I used to stay up all the time to work after my family was in bed and all was quiet. Which in itself would not have been an issue if I was catching up on sleep later; however, I never did. I would go to bed at 2 or 3 in the morning and wake up at 7 to care for my son and get him off to school, but I never stopped during the day to catch up just carried on and repeated the process the next night. I lost concentration, was irritable generally not the best person to be around. Now I go to bed every night around 10 and work through the day when my son is at school and husband is at work and like them I take the weekends off or only work if I really want to. I'm much happier for it and so are my family. So again great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep is also a good way to put all your stress aside for at least a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi human, M.J.,

    What a good self-reflection pawst, my dear human friend. Indeed, get it written down. To see your plans in written form can give you the tangible catalyst you need. Keep embracing the pawsitive resources conducive to your mental and physical well being.

    My human needs more sleep. As for my, I take several doggy naps.

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar! :)

    ReplyDelete