Thursday, May 15, 2014

M. J. Unplugged…about Feelings, Current Events, Politics, Global Warming etc. etc. etc.

by M. J. Joachim

Emotions and feelings make it difficult to communicate sometimes. We all have them, buried deep within the confines of politically correct aspirations. Few people make a concerted effort to offend others. Yet, we do, and there’s not a whole lot we can do to avoid it. 

I’m not a huge fan of sugar-coating things. I pretty much tell it like it is, and when it comes to being politically correct, well, even if I work really hard at it, I doubt I could pull it off very well. Yup, not a big game player either, and not one to stroke a bunch of over-inflated egos, even if it might help pave the path to where I’m going. 

Brass tacks, telling it like it is - this is much more my style. Still, there is no room for the bull in the china shop, and broken china turns into quite a big mess in a hurry. 

I’m not sure where the rest of this post is going, so I’ll just keep typing until I feel it has nowhere else to go. 

The sad thing is when emotions get the better of us, and feelings control our world, often influencing our decisions to the point of losing boundaries, or neglecting our responsibility to be educated when we make them. Looking at the bigger picture, taking as much into account as possible, considering the repercussions of our choices not only for ourselves, but for those who might be affected in the ripple effect that always happens. 

We are not an island, and no one carries the world on their shoulders alone. That’s why drama turns me off so bad. It’s not about taking sides and having compassion, as much as it is about being reasonable and realizing that we’re all in this together. We all have so much to offer, and we all need each other and depend on each other to keep moving forward in this life. 

No one person carries the torch or lights the olympic flame. It takes a group effort, and that group effort is symbolic of the human race as a whole. It takes all of us to keep moving forward in a positive direction, so for anyone to assume or try to take control is a wasted battle for those taking sides and playing to win or lose on one of them.

The battle lines have been drawn for so many things. Look at Ukraine and Russia. Look at oppressed women and girls who get kidnapped for going to school. Look at WWII and the holocaust, or POW camps throughout history. Look at parents dominating, as opposed to raising their children. Look at rapists, terrorists and those guilty of treason (whether they’ve been caught for it or not). Look at kids disrespecting authority to the point of bringing harm on themselves, without even realizing that’s what they’re doing. Look at global warming - or is it just the cycle of the earth doing what the cycle of the earth does? Who really believes they can control the ebbs and flows of ocean tides or temperatures in summer and winter? Who really believes they can prevent droughts by making it rain, or create an ideal climate where blizzards don’t happen and extreme heat in summer is a faux pas?

I listen to all the arguments in favor and against things and shake my head sometimes, because all I hear is a battle for control based on fear. Fear of what, I wonder? That the world will end, or the Internet will crash? That a massive pandemic of some viral illness will wipe out half the people on the planet, all because they didn’t sign up for Obamacare or some other ascribed to socialized medical plan? 

I don’t get scared very easily anymore? Some of the things that scared me most in recent years are that my kids might have been abducted, because too many pedophiles had rights, and were being released on our streets. The government also scares me, because some of those officials sure know how to campaign, but when it comes to being honest and above reproach, too many of them have proven to be downright nightmares, especially when they’re secrets start getting exposed, and you know we never hear the full story on those. I’m also scared of privacy invasion. When a computer is all you need for spies to enter your home and track your every move, it’s a little unnerving. When a cell phone can be tracked and the government can spy on all your communication, to make sure you’re not a threat to society, it’s just flat out wrong. 

I’m not saying we should give up proper security measures, but shouldn’t we make educated decisions on how and when to implement them? Shouldn’t we allow average, law-abiding citizens to live their lives in peace, without monitoring their ever action, tracking every time they go to the doctor, capturing their every thought - innocent or not? Shouldn’t we make a list of pros, cons and everything else, before writing a blank check to minimize our freedom and/or guilt? It’s not exactly pressing the easy button, I know, but it sure sounds a whole lot smarter than throwing out the baby with the bath water, if you ask me.

Thanks for bearing with me as I share a whole lot of things that have been randomly filtering through my mind. They’re public knowledge now, and you never know, I might be deemed a threat by some for voicing them. Then again, I might have a whole bunch of people nodding their heads and saying, “You go girl!” too. Ah life, and then we get analyzed and judged by the masses.

M. J. 

©2014 All Rights Reserved
Photo credit: U. S. Air Force, Lightening over Las Cruces, New Mexico, Public Domain

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you... The current events including abducted Nigerian girls are sad. Few people are doing things to offend other people for whatever reason. We can't do much about it, other than talking. The helplessness of all that is creating frustration and restlessness....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You go girl " is what I'd say. This is democracy. Why should you get into any kind of trouble for exercising your right of freedom of speech?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the BIG issues scare and infuriate me--mostly because I feel helpless. I have a lot to say about things like abductions of innocents, global warming, the Putin grab for Ukraine, but will what I have to say matter? Our Congress is an absurdity. Our leader(s) ineffective. Where is our foreign policy? Spotty at best. And while we talk about how disasterous our effect is on the planet, we refuse to go to natural gas and still yammer on about cap and trade.

    Oops! You see what you've done, M.J.? You've unplugged me and there I went off on a rant. I think I need to go write a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some quotes from Thomas Jefferson...

    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now.

    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

    Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread.

    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

    Most bad government has grown out of too much government.

    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.

    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of the 'you go, girl' responders. :-) Many truths spoken here. How do you feel about women dying their hair? I'm writing a series on that, as I give up dying my own hair and I'm wanting to stimulate some dialogue about it. Why we feel compelled to do it, why we are not comfortable aging naturally. Visit my blog and comment, if you'd like. I"d appreciate your thoughts. :-)

    ReplyDelete