Friday, December 5, 2014

Day 2 for the 2nd Annual Holiday Food Drive

by M. J. Joachim

It’s barely 5:30 a.m. here. I woke up early from all the chatter in my brain. Yesterday, the first day of our Annual Holiday Food Drive, was such a happy surprise. Buzz is happening and people are making some noise about hunger in our world and how to feed the hungry. That’s all I wanted. That’s all any of us in this online food drive want. We want to raise awareness and inspire people to act.

I dove in full bore, writing three pretty intense articles, two that required some heavy reading and vigorous research. As I made my way around the web reading and sharing things I found, I couldn’t help but smile. People are talking, they’re thinking and acting. They’re stepping back and stepping up, affirming everything we are doing and why we are doing it.

We’ll never know the impact we have for our efforts. One of the things I realized yesterday is that though this event has been planned to raise awareness in our online community, many of the comments I’m reading are about collecting food, gathering people and volunteering to help at food banks and soup kitchens. The articles are being read, commented on and passed around. The people are taking it one step further. They’re going grocery shopping, talking to their families, friends and neighbors and becoming more active than they already were in their own communities.

It’s Day 2 and #feedthehungryeh is making its impact. We’re doing our small part on a world stage to say starvation and malnutrition matter. No one should go hungry or be malnourished in our world. For that I am extremely grateful. I’m so proud to call all of you my friends and work on such a worthy cause with you. Our work matters and we really do make a difference!

On that note, keep going strong. It’s Day 2 and tomorrow is our final push to sound the alarm, tweet the birdies and make some noise on the web. Continue writing and sharing the articles, promoting those already written and learning about organizations making a difference. Our Annual Food Drive will finish tomorrow, but our work doesn’t end there. Stay strong and remain an active voice for the cause, because we really do make a difference.

With deepest and most sincere appreciation and respect,

M. J.

©214 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Jeremy Hawkins