Wednesday, February 25, 2015

From Almost Empty Nest to Full House

by M. J. Joachim

Busy is as busy does, and life keeps happening in between. Flexibility and a positive attitude are the answer if you ask me, that and being mindful of one’s needs, because if we don’t take proper care of ourselves, we certainly can’t take care of others. Nor can we be open to the blessings of others taking care of us too.

I suppose that’s what it’s really all about in this life, taking care of each other and doing our part. We can’t skimp out on the caring part, but we also need to be receptive to being cared for. It’s a balancing act that offers some of the most special moments and greatest gifts life has to offer, family and positive relationships devoted to the entire well being of each other.

Sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. Change needs to happen for a variety of reasons. Our job is to foster the change, knowing how necessary and good it is for those we love. Life carves its own path sometimes. After 7 years, living nearly two hours away, my daughter is finally home from college with our new granddaughter. We’re a very close family and you can bet we are thrilled to have them home.

I’ve been busy cleaning and preparing rooms. Since they arrived a few days ago, I’ve been busy cooking, cleaning and helping them unpack, not to mention holding my little granddaughter and loving on her more than I could ever imagine. We have a thing together, and her smiles light up my world!

It’s going to be hit or miss with my blogging and computer time for a while. This house just went from being almost too quiet, to bustling with energy and activity that seems to never stop. This mom just went from figuring out how to spend my days, to not having enough hours in the day to do all the things I need to do. Of course, I turned 50 this month, so that’s not a problem. The only thing that’s really pressing at this point in time is loving my family and enjoying every moment I get to spend with them more than I ever thought possible.

Towels, dishes, floors and windows can wait. Cooking can’t because we all love to eat and I’m having a grand time playing in the kitchen again. And hugs, there are way more than enough to go around.

Wishing you all wonderful moments with your families,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Cala de la Granadella, CCA-SA 4.0 International, Wikicommons - Picture of the day, (for no other reason than that I really liked this when I saw it today)