Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Somehow I Doubt That, Robin Morgan!

by M. J. Joachim



I saw this image and quote on Facebook a while ago, and all I could think is, “This is disturbing on so many levels.” Don’t people think anymore? Pride is at the root of it, and in its quest to fulfill the need of vanity, self-loathing (a vile form of false humility, imo) Ms. Morgan slams all of humanity as we know it.

There’s a reason I’m not feminist, and it’s because I believe in people. There’s a reason I’m not racist, and it’s because hatred never served anyone well at all. There’s a reason I’m not black, gay, Jewish, Muslim, male etc. etc. and it’s because I wasn’t born that way and don’t personally identify with those things on an intimate level. That doesn’t mean I’m not good enough anymore than it means anybody who is different from me is less than.

We’re all just people. We are born, we live and we die. There is no fancy formula. Translation, everyone is just as good and just as bad as everyone else. It’s the choices we make that separate the good from the bad, and Robin Morgan here made a very bad choice being so vocal in public with this message. It’s not her white skin or privilege that disgusts me. It’s her big mouth and a message so negative, judgmental and flat out wrong that really makes my blood boil and ticks me off like few things can. I’m a woman, and if this is what the American Women’s Movement is all about, you can be sure I’ll be keeping my distance.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the matter. I look forward to an interesting discussion with you.

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Facebook, public