Thursday, April 9, 2015

Children’s Program Review: Uncle Grandpa

by M. J. Joachim


Uncle Grandpa is undoubtedly one of the strangest and most unacceptable programs I’ve watched so far! The subliminal sexual connotations are beyond disturbing, and it’s lack of respect for authority figures definitely gives children the wrong message!

Watching this show made my stomach turn. The illustrated phallic symbols and dialog are completely inappropriate, so much so that I’m not sure how it got disguised as a kids show meant to help children with their problems. And some of these problems - well, they are nothing more than an excuse to draw more phallic pictures, create more phallic dialog and animate some really gross scripting.

History revealed that Uncle Grandpa is a spin off of Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, which didn’t do well with its ratings and was put on hiatus. I guess this show won a few awards despite being rejected by the majority of viewers, so producers and the Cartoon Network gave Uncle Grandpa a try.

Regardless, this is not a good show, and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it for pre-pubescent teens or anything. In fact, I’d block it from youtube, netflix and anything else if I could, especially if I had teens in the house again. It’s weird, gross and not worthy of a viewership at all! Even the name is creepy!

How do you feel about sexual subliminal messages being in your face and too difficult to ignore? Do you think it’s appropriate for kids to be exposed to extremely sexual messages in a cartoon show? What do you think about the name of this show? And are you concerned that too much of the programming geared toward kids has a lack of respect for authority?

Thanks so much for visiting Effectively Human today. Please take a moment to comment and let me know you’ve stopped by. I really appreciate your visits and would love to visit your blog too.

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Uncle Grandpa main characters, US Copyright Fair Use Law